Yield: Serves 4.
- Four 4 ounce Certified Angus eye of round steaks, or equivalent
- 2 Tb olive oil plus 2 Tb more
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup merlot or other dry red wine
- 1 can beef broth
- ½ cup whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, to serve
- Heat a large skillet with a lid to medium heat. Add oil. Sauté onions and garlic until browned. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms release some juices. Remove from pan.
- Mix flour with salt and pepper and dredge steaks in flour, shaking off excess. Heat remaining oil in the pan to medium high. Brown steaks on both sides.
- Add onion-mushroom mixture, thyme, merlot, and beef broth. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook on low for one hour, or until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally.
- When meat is done, add whipping cream, stir, and cook uncovered until sauce thickens slightly. Season again with salt and pepper, stir in fresh rosemary, and serve.
*This dish is good with any potato dish, noodles, or rice.